The parish pastoral council is a consultative body to the pastor. The purpose of the pastoral council is to examine, consider, and draw conclusions concerning matters under discussion in order to recommend a course of action to the pastor. Through pastoral planning, the pastoral council assists the pastor in:
- Developing and living out of the mission of the parish.
- Forming community as a sign and witness of unity for the larger parish community.
- Providing recommendations for parish priorities, directions, and policies.
- Promoting communication and understanding among parish organizations and between the parish, the Archdiocese, and the Universal Church.
- The finance council is a consultative body that provides the pastor with advice concerning the stewardship of the parish’s fiscal resources. It assists the pastor by:
- Conducting long-range financial planning with regard to funding operational and capital needs in the parish.
- Developing and overseeing a parish budget process which results in a annual parish budget. this process should involve the participation of those responsible for parish programs. It should be so designed that it addresses the parish’s priorities and goals as determined by the pastor and parish pastoral council.
- Providing financial analysis of current fiscal status reports.
- Providing fiscal analysis of proposed goals, strategies, programs and administrative aspects of parish life.
The overall purpose of the school commission is to advise and support the pastor and principal in the operation of the parish school. School Commissions may be responsible for the following:
- Assessing the needs of the school community.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the school in performing its educational and formational missions.
- Recommending policies and conducting strategic planning for school operations.
- Collaborating with the pastor and principal in educating the parish as a whole about the importance of the school, while building a sense of connection with the overall parish mission.
- Collaborating with the pastor and principal in educating other parishes about the school’s mission.
- Working collaboratively with the pastoral council and other consultative bodies.